Friday, February 26, 2010

Shoddy Shadi





Marriages in India are almost always arranged. I knew that when I came, but I don’t think I realized that wedding ceremonies would be SO different. In the US, a wedding ceremony is short, followed by a reception, and then the bride and groom are off on their honeymoon. In India, it’s a 3 or 4 day celebration. There’s meals at all the parents’ houses, parades down the street, dancing late into the night, and fireworks. The groom goes through town on a horse (or sometimes an elephant as I’ve been told), and people give him money.

I live within 100 yards of 3 different wedding points, so lots of nights I get to hear Indian Wedding music in dreams.

I was driving my bike home a few nights ago, when I passed one of the groom’s parades. It was just getting warmed up, but here’s a video of what I ran into. I just missed the groom dancing on top of his horse… man, maybe next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment