Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday Mornings

One of the best ways I’ve found to practice my Hindi listening skills is to go to church. The last few Sundays I’ve visited a little Hindi speaking church about 25 minutes away. After a prayer time almost an hour is spent singing, and as the singing is going on I’m doing my darndest to keep up reading/singing from the hymnal. Then there’s another good hour or more of preaching. It can be a little overwhelming at times, especially when the pastor gets excited about what he’s preaching on, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised at the amount I’ve understood. Now I’ll be honest, it’s hard to stay focused for that long when I have to hang on to every word to understand what’s going on (whatever happened to hour long services like we had in the states? And I used to think those lasted too long sometimes), and from time to time I slip away into my own world (at least I haven’t broken out the Sudoku puzzles in a few weeks). It is a really great chance to practice though, and I’ve really been blessed by some of the people I’ve meet there over the last few weeks.

I’ll leave you with the verses we studied today:


"यहोवा की शरग लेनी, मनुष्य पर भरोसा रखने से उत्तम है।
यहोवा की शरग लेनी, प्रधानों पर भी भरोसा रखने से उत्तम है।"
-भजन संहीता ११८:८-९

"It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man.
It is better to take refuge in the the Lord than to trust in princes."
-Psalm 118:8-9


-एरिक (Eric)

No comments:

Post a Comment